Re: rdfms-literal-is-xml-structure, again [was: Outstanding Issues]

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:48:13 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-02-14 0:01, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> <dc:title parseType="Literal">A <em>very</em>
> Long Story</dc:title>

I always thought parseType="Literal" simply was
syntactic sugar to avoid the need to escape all
the XML significant markup characters with entities
(e.g. &lt;em> etc.)

But in the graph, it's the same kind of literal
as any other kind of literal.

If these are different kinds of literals, is there
not a fourth, including both parstType="Literal"
and xml:lang:

   <dc:title xml:lang="en" rdf:parseType="Literal">
      A <em>very</em> Long Story
   </dc:title>

is the same literal as

   <dc:title xml:lang="en">
      A &lt;em>very&lt;/em> Long Story
   </dc:title>

I think a literal is a literal is a literal (though
it may be a structured object rather than a simple
string).

And given that, RDF parsers shouldn't pay attention
to any namespaces, or other markup issues, etc. in
a parseType="Literal" fragment (or any literal)
but should just slurp it in 'literally'.

Patrick