Re: Entailment versus implication

>On 2002-02-11 17:35, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:
>

>>>  So, when folks say that
>>>
>>>  _:B ex:father #Bob .
>>>  _:B ex:gender ex:Male .
>>>  _:G ex:father #Bob .
>>>  _:G ex:gender ex:Female .
>>>
>>>  entails
>>>
>>>  _:B ex:gender ex:Female .
>>>  _:G ex:gender ex:Male .
>>>
>>>  I start to wonder if we are all talking about the same thing.
>>>
>>>  Certainly the first set of triples do *not* imply the latter
>>>  pair of triples. How could they?
>>
>>  Well, it goes outside RDF, but one could argue that if it is known
>>  that ex:father is functional, ie people only have one father, then
>>
>>  _:B ex:father #Bob .
>>  _:G ex:father #Bob .
>>
>>  together entail _:G = :_B,
>
>OK, here's where you lost me. How does the fact that _:G
>and _:B both have the same father, even if it were known that
>ex:father were functional, imply that _:G and _:B are
>the same resource?

Oh, I see. I read that as _:B and _:G were both Bob's father, not the
other way round. I think we agree on the logic now, yes?

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes