Re: Datatyping and idioms

At 09:31 AM 2/8/02 +0000, patrick.stickler@nokia.com wrote:
>Perhaps at first, though ultimately, we need to choose
>specific idioms, and those idioms have to be an integral
>part of the final solution, in order to achieve consistency
>of expression and interoperability between applications
>(consistency of interpretation).

Here I disagree.  I think we need to specify the appropriate semantics of
any valid RDF expression.  (It might be appropriate for the primer to
indicate what idioms can then be used to achieve common goals.)

>We cannot end up with a scenario of "use whatever idiom
>suits your fancy". There should be two and only two "official"
>idioms -- one for local and one for global datatyping.
>
>And while users always remain free to express their knowledge
>in whatever idiom they like, those idioms will be proprietary
>and not part of the expectations that all users will share for
>the effective global interchange of knowledge.

No, please, no.  There should be no proprietary idioms.  Any RDF whose
intended interpretation is in accordance with the formal semantics should
be exchangeable between RDF processors, and the level of mutual
understanding dependent only on whether there is sufficient common
understanding of externally defined vocabulary.  It should never be
possible to entail incorrect conclusions, whatever idiom is used.

The role of idioms is to help authors use the language.  Idioms, per se,
have no part in determining the meaning of the language used.  That *would*
be the tail wagging the dog.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>