Re: Tidy literal nodes incompatable with current MT?

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:13:33 -0800
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Patrick Stickler wrote:

> It has occurred to me that tidy literal nodes seem incompatable
> with the view that a node in the graph maps to one and only one
> thing in the universe.
>
> The reason why URI labeled nodes can be tidy is because URIs
> are globally unique, and URIs are presumed to have a consistent
> global meaning. But literals are like local names, and their
> meaning is dependent on context. Literals do not have a consistent
> global meaning.
> [...]

I understand that URIs are presumed to have a consistent global meaning.
Unfortunately, URIs are often used inconsistently. For example, a URL of
a homepage or an email address are frequently (mis)used as identifiers
for persons, and at the same time they identify homepages and email
addresses.

Therefore, I feel that the literals are the only truly reliable entities
in an RDF graph. Literals don't lie - their meaning is determined by
their content...

Sergey