Re: why S doesn't require double properties [was: Datatyping Summary V4]

At 08:01 PM 2/4/02 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>To get clarity and closure on this:
>
>    ASSERTION: Use of both S/A+B idioms will require two versions
>               of PRISM, DC, MARC, ONIX, etc., one version for
>               each idiom, and adoption of S/A+B will require
>               the maintainers of those ontologies to create
>               and managae dual versions in order
>               for their ontologies to be used with RDF by
>               communities employing both idioms concurrently,
>               or to merge RDF knowledge expressed using
>               both idioms.
>
>Do you (or does anyone) disagree?

I disagree.  Under S, one of version each application (ontology) will do
fine, as long as they don't use the same vocabulary in conflicting
ways.  And software that wants to syndicate across systems that use
different idioms must know about the different vocabularies being used to
be able to translate between them.

It may be a little messy, but I think it's quite doable, which is why I can
live with S even if I think it's worth a little effort to see if we can't
find an even cleaner solution.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>