RE: Datatyping Summary V4

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:34:20 -0000
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Patrick:
> You seem to be doing some magic based on implicit
> human knowledge about the relationship between
> xsd:decimal and xsd:decimal-de (presuming there is
> one).

Brian (I think):

> >>    <foo>      <eg:size>   _:s1 .
> >>    _:s1       <xsd:double-de>  "10,5" .
> >>
> >>    <bar>      <eg:size>   _:s2 .
> >>    _:s2       <xsd:double>  "10.5" .

[entails (my text)]

> >>    <foo> <eg:size> _:s .  [ jjc modified this ]
> >>    <bar> <eg:size> _:s .

Under S-A, and as I understand it, in Pat's rework in progress of (similar
examples in) TDL, the model theory has both bNodes interpreted as the actual
value 10.5 (the number). Since values in the model are "tidy" (unlike
lexical nodes in the graph) it is the case that the sizes are the same.

More formally in any model of the first two triples _:s1 will be interpreted
as 10.5.
In any model of the second two triples _:s2 will be interpreted as 10.5.
Hence in any model of the first four triples, there is an interpretaion of
_:s (which happens to be as 10.5) which makes the last two triples true.

Jeremy