Re: rdf:Alt's relationship to individual statements (fwd)

>Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>>  RSS and Dublin Core folk are trying to use rdf:Alt and it's painful to
>>  watch :(

Indeed.

>  >
>>  Which spec owns the problem of helping these folk? MT? Primer? Schema?
>>

>Well, certainly the Primer is a candidate.  You might look at what the
>Primer version at
>http://www.w3.org/2001/09/rdfprimer/rdf-primer-20020725.html says about
>Alt and see what you think.
>

>snip
>>
>>  Considering the following example from
>>  http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/04/14/dcq-rdf-xml/:
>>
>>  <rdf:Description rdf:ID="17">
>>     <dc:identifier>
>>      <rdf:Alt>
>  >      <rdf:li rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/"/>
>  >      <rdf:li rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/"/>
>>      </rdf:Alt>
>>     </dc:identifier>
>>  </rdf:Description>
>>
>>  Does this mean that one can say that the identifier of online:#17 is
>>  http://dublincore.org/, or that its identifier is a collection of
>>  alternative values of which http://dublincore.org/ is the first prefernce?
>
>It seems to me that it says the latter.  Anyone disagree?

I don't think we can say either of these. It certainly isn't the
first; but if we say the second, then the identifier is a collection,
so its definitely not either of http://dublincore.org/ or
http://purl.org/dc/  (neither of which are collections.)

I think the best way to say it is that its means that the identifier
is EITHER http://dublincore.org/ OR http://purl.org/dc/, but we don't
know which it is.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes