Re: rdf:Alt's relationship to individual statements (fwd)

Dan Brickley wrote:

> RSS and Dublin Core folk are trying to use rdf:Alt and it's painful to
> watch :(
>
> Which spec owns the problem of helping these folk? MT? Primer? Schema?

Well, certainly the Primer is a candidate.  You might look at what the
Primer version at
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/rdfprimer/rdf-primer-20020725.html says about
Alt and see what you think.

snip

> Considering the following example from
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/04/14/dcq-rdf-xml/:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:ID="17">
>    <dc:identifier>
>     <rdf:Alt>
>      <rdf:li rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/"/>
>      <rdf:li rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/"/>
>     </rdf:Alt>
>    </dc:identifier>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> Does this mean that one can say that the identifier of online:#17 is
> http://dublincore.org/, or that its identifier is a collection of
> alternative values of which http://dublincore.org/ is the first prefernce?

It seems to me that it says the latter.  Anyone disagree?

> In other words, given the general definition of
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/identifier as:
>
> <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">An unambiguous reference to the resource
> within a given context.</rdfs:comment>
>
> Can we reasonably infer from the above snippet that http://dublincore.org/
> serves this purpose with relation to online:#17 ?

I don't know about this last bit;  it depends on what Dublin Core means
by "unambiguous reference".  Some people would interpret the existence
of alternatives in this position as being inconsistent with an
"unambiguous reference" (even if one is understood as preferred).

--Frank