Re: schema

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:12:23 -0700
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Another worry re terminology is that we have two Semantic Web working
>groups. One group calls RDF schemas

.....and what are those, exactly? I have never known what this term
is supposed to mean. Do you mean an RDF graph containing RDFS

>'schemas', the other calls them
>'ontologies'. To date we've not really used the latter term in RDF Core

Right, and let's not.

>I personally don't like it, but that's not important. What is
>importnat is terminological consistency at least within the RDF-based
>corner of W3C's work. I'm stumped as to what we do about that. People will
>ask us (of some RDF/XML schema that uses WebOnt machinery) whether it is
>an 'ontology' or a 'schema'. Maybe we don't need an answer, but it does
>seem a bit odd to not know collectively (in WebOnt + RDF Core) what we
>think we're talking about. Editorial suggestions / contribs on this

Both terms have weeds attached that cause confusion. Maybe we should
use a new term altogether so that *we* can say what it means.,
something bland like 'module'. (??) Or what wrong with just talking
about RDF graphs?

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax