RE: comments on syntax wd: bug in graph seriali[zs]ation algo

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:12:23 -0700
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>  I propose section 6 be dropped for now, until this is fixed.
>There are practical problems in RDF serialization.
>At some point the specs need to acknowledge this, and indicate to
>implementors what they should do.

Why does the spec need to tell implementors what to do? There are
several well-known techniques for handling local variables, and the
choice is up to the implementor.

>In RDF2 I would hope to fix

Fix what?

>this, e.g. allow the "_:nnn" bnode syntax as
>matching uriref production in the grammar.
>That was out of charter.
>The charter allows us to clarify M&S.
>The clarification is "this is screwed up".

Wait: its not screwed up. The MT is about as clear as it can possibly
be on this issue. Bnodes are not urirefs, and it is *invalid* to
replace a bnode by a uriref, even a 'new' one.  Sorry about the
practical problems, but life is like that.

I vote to scrap the misleading wording in section 6.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax