Re: schema

What's wrong with the term "RDF Schema", and, if its definition is not
precise enough, creating a precise-enough definition?  I repeat what I
sent to DanBri on this subject:

> The relationship
> between RDF Schema and XML Schema may need to be clarified;  but I hope
> that's not because both use the term "schema".  "RDF Schema" is fine!
> Keep in mind that the Web community is not the only relevant community
> here.  The database community in particular is quite used to the idea of
> a "schema" as precisely the sort of thing being described here (and was
> using the terminology first).  Both RDF and XML schemas are variants of
> this same theme.  We can't possibly invent new terms each time we find
> some kind of terminology clash (or similarity) when different
> communities come together.  We're supposed to be supporting the Semantic
> Web, for heaven's sake!  If people can't figure out how to distinguish
> "RDF Schema", "XML Schema", and "database schema", they're in the wrong
> business.

If people are going to have trouble telling an "RDF schema" from an "XML
schema", imagine that "RDF" and "XML" are namespace prefixes, and spell
them RDF:schema and XML:schema respectively.  If people can't keep them
straight then, we need to go back to the XML namespace folks and tell
them it'll never work.  If the problem is with the definition of "RDF
Schema", how does changing the name help?  (Let's call them "RDF
frogs"...oops!  "frog" is in use already, and someone might think an RDF
frog had a sticky tongue...)

--Frank