Re: Latest iteration of RDF Datatyping WD

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:38:25 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
cc: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Jeremy quoted M&S
  [[[
  Note: Schema developers may be tempted to declare the values of certain
  properties to use a syntax corresponding to the XML Namespace qualified name
  abbreviation. We advise against using these qualified names inside property
  values as this may cause incompatibilities with future XML datatyping
  mechanisms. Furthermore, those fully versed in XML 1.0 features may
  recognize that a similar abbreviation mechanism exists in user-defined
  entities. We also advise against relying on the use of entities as there is
  a proposal to define a future subset of XML that does not include
  user-defined entities.
  ]]]

Graham said:
> I also think that well-chosen entity definitions make the document _way_
> more readable.

I'd note that there is no equivalent paragraph in the syntax working
draft and I've seen RDF/XML used in this way by several people for
abbreviations.  Do we really think this is going to clash with XML?

(Aside: not that I like XML entities much anyway; we don't have to
care about them since the Infoset mapping we use removes them.)

Dave