What is reification? (was Re: Issue rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:06:52 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>  There must be a strong call from the community to make the change.
>I suspect most of the members of the community who understand this issue
>are in the WG.
>>  We should resist the temptation to fix things that we don't like but are not
>>  really broken.
>Agreed. This is really broken. Argued elsewhere.
>It acts as a significant barrier to the use of the RDF/XML reification
>syntax, and hence as a barrier to the use of reification. If reification
>is a good thing (which is moot, but I think we should assume) then this
>needs fixing.

Well, I wonder if before deciding one way or the other about the
merits of reification, could we first decide what reification
actually is? I thought I knew, but at the F2F the model theory I gave
for reification (which I honestly thought was the blandest and least
controversial interpretation one could wish for, and to directly
follow the M&S) seemed to cause a firestorm.  We havn't discussed
reification since then, but if we are going to start, then please
lets first define what we are talking about.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax