From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:49:05 -0500
To: "Ron Daniel" <rdaniel@interwoven.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>  > Canonicalizing the literal just makes things hard for the
>>  > DPH, which will in turn limit the use of RDF.
>>  DPH ? Perl Hacker ?
>Desperate Perl Hacker. Origin of term seems to be Jon Bosak in
>the original XML group, exhorting others to keep things simple
>so that the DPH could write simple code to operate on XML as
>strings and get reasonable results. One example of this is
>that end tags must contain the element type, not just </>.
>Longer, but less need use a stack to keep track of scope.
>Didn't really agree with it at the time, but I do now.

Wow. In the year 2001, fundamental design decisions in programing
languages are critically influenced by the need to protect low-level
hackers from the burden of implementing a simple stack. IBM 704
assembler beats LISP after 45 years and about ten (twelve?) orders of
magnitude increase in processing efficiency.

To hell with the DPH. If he can't parse a nested bracket structure,
then he doesn't deserve the outrageous salary he is probably earning;
tell him to take up gardening instead.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax