Re: 2001-09-07#5 Literals (use cases/test inputs, please?)

Brian McBride wrote:

> Dan Connolly wrote:
> [...]
>
> > What are these use cases?
>
> We had 3.  Martyn had one where xml:lang was not used.

??? I wonder how that's relevant...

>  Jan had one where it
> was.

Jan? Got any example files? What software are you using?

>  Eric had one where it was - though he still owes us a write up of that one.

That's the one I keep hearing about. I phoned him about it,
and he said they ended up using properties to represent
language, not xml:lang.

> [...]
>

> > I didn't refer to any other critical issues: just that I can't
> > "see" xml:lang using rdf properties.
>
> Your right.  In
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0388.html
>
> you said [[[
>
>    All of my attempts to deal with xml:lang have run into critical
>    problems.
>
> ]]]
>
> What are these critical *problems*?

From the same message:

[[[
For example, I tried to do a visualization of the RDF schema
for RDF, using cwm, and I couldn't find a way to get it
to filter the french labels from the english labels... because
the xml:lang information isn't in triple form.
]]]

As far as I know, none of the RDF query systems
allows me to say "show me the english labels
from the RDFS schema".

> >> Please make the case there is a real problem.
> >>

> > I have made the case to my satisfaction.
>
> Are there any pointers I can look at?

You have already seen it:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0388.html