Re: Closing rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (was: RDFCore WG minutes for the telecon 2001-10-12)

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:00:26 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Pat Hayes wrote:

>> Brian/Pat - were does the WG stand on duplicate triples?

Actually, I'm not sure :(

Let me try a strawman position:

I agree with Pat that this seems to be more of an implementation issue which is
hard to discuss without a processing model.  However, using terms like parser,
loosely:

   o it doesn't seem reasonable to require parsers to eliminate duplicates -
that  would prohibit the development of streaming parsers.

   o we need say nothing this in terms of representing an RDF graph - it's up to
the implementor whether they filter duplicates or not.  that way we don't break
existing implementations of either family for no good reason.

   o Pat seems to reckon the model theory is simpler with a set.  Can we extend
the notion of a tidy graph so that it removes duplicate statements.  Any untidy
graph has an equivalent tidy graph, and the model theory is defined in terms of
that.

Brian