Re: Closing rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (was: RDFCore WG minutes for the telecon 2001-10-12)

>On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:47:42PM -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>>  Meanwhile, I'd like to request that for the meeting,
>>  rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about is put on the agenda. I'd
>>  like the Working Group to agree to the proposed resolution and
>>  test cases at:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-
>>  tests/rdfcore/rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about/
>>
>>  The key part of which is:
>>
>>  """
>>  Usage of an rdf:ID attribute to identify the subject of a
>>  description, is equivalent to usage of an rdf:about attribute
>>  with the the '#' character followed by the URI-encoded form of
>>  the content rdf:ID attribute.
>>  """
>>
>>  Please try to send me comments on this before the meeting so I
>>  can make the necessary changes.
>
>My comments for the proposed solution were posted in:
>
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0029.html
>
>This of course led to a fairly long discussion about duplicate
>triples - a discussion for which I'm not sure we've reached consensus.
>
>Brian/Pat - were does the WG stand on duplicate triples?

The MT can handle them if people want to allow them. They are
'transparent', ie duplicating a triple makes no difference to the
meaning. (If we allow duplicates then some of the lemmas on inference
will need to be very slightly re-worded to make sure all copies of
triple are treated the same. )

I have the general impression that allowing duplicates is considered
to be more of an implementation problem than not allowing them, so I
would be mildly in favor of not allowing them. Then a graph can be
identified with a set of triples.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes