Re: graphs are sets?! (was: rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (was: Issues list update/status?))

>On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:05:26PM +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
>>  On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>>
>>  > On Thursday, October 4, 2001, at 09:34  AM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>  >
>>  > > I would prefer test1.nt to only have one line if they are
>>  > > identical. The
>>  > > graph is a set.
>>  > > A comment explaining the deletion would then be helpful.
>>  >
>>  > Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don't think we ever agreed to this. It was
>>  > my understanding the output was a bag (there wasn't harm in
>>  > doing so), but could be interpreted as a set.
>>  >
>>  > When was this changed?
>
>I also do not recall an explicit decision on this.
>
>The issue for this is:
>
>  [1] http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-identity-of-statements
>
>and it is under the category Issues Awaiting Consideration.
>
>>  The MT would give the same interpretation for equivalent arcs in a
>>  multigraph, wouldn't it?
>
>Pat - does the MT address [1]?

No, it has no opinion. It would give the same meaning to a graph with
a repeated triple as it would to the one with the repetition removed.
I would vote for bags on the grounds that they are harmless and put
less of a burden on implementors, but that's me talking, not the MT.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes