Re: heading toward datatyping telecon

At 09:31 AM 11/2/01 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:

>>>Pat's proposal defines a type to be a mapping from a lexical space to a
>>>value space.  That means that a hexadecimal integer is a different type
>>>from a decimal integer.
>>
>>Obviously the datatype mappings are not the same, but the value spaces
>>can be overlap or even be the same. We can make them rdfs:subclasses of
>>one another if you like.
>

>Hmmm.  That would make them equivalent.  Its bending my head a little, but
>they are not equivalent, so that sounds like trouble.

I think there are two uses of "data type" at work here:  Pat's document
(and also XML schema datatypes, methinks) treats them as a lexical space, a
value space and a mapping from lexical to value space.  The other common
use, including typed logics, I understand to be set of values that can be
denoted by a symbol for a value of that type;  i.e. the "value space" only.

I'm guessing that Brian's point is that conflating these ideas in RDF might
be confusing, or otherwise unhelpful.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>