Re: Reject change to rdf:value

>On Monday, October 29, 2001, at 09:37  AM, Dave Beckett wrote:
>
>>The issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-replace-value
>>is recorded as:
>>   Suggestion that the rdf:value property be replaced by rdf:toString.
>
>I'm not sure where you got this, but I don't see this at the URL. I see:
>
>    It is suggested that the property rdf:value
>    represents a mapping from a resource to textual
>    representation of that resource. If for example,
>    the resource represents the number 10, then the
>    value of the rdf:value property would be the
>    string "10".
>
>I think this is very much in scope.

OK, let me reiterate what I said in the last long message.

The above paragraph has an interesting grammatical slip in it: the
article is missing in front of 'textual reprsentation of that
resource.' Now, WHICH textual representation? ANY textual
representation? Or THE textual representation appropriate to the
datatyping of..... what? Take the example given, where the resource
is (I take the liberty of correcting the usual use/mention errors)
the number 10. Well, if that were indicated by a decimal then the
string "10" would do it, but if it were represented by an octal then
you need "12" and if you use a binary then you need "1010". There is
no way to say what THE value of rdf:value is for any particular
integer, until you specify what datatyping scheme is being used. BUt
in the proposed use of rdf:value, there is no way to associate
datatyping information with the *value* of rdf:value, only with the
subject. Which begs the question.

The only coherent interpretation I can give for rdf:value is that it
means equality. Then it is meaningful, but kind of useless.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes