RE: (tentative) container model proposal

From: <Ora.Lassila@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:16:18 -0500
To: danbri@w3.org, phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Pat Hayes wrote:
>1. The basic RDF model, if I am at last beginning to understand it,
>is that triples represent information about things, and that this
>information is inherently 'partial' in that it is always possible to
>add more. Following this line of thinking, knowing that the 8th item
>in a sequence is A, say, is partial knowledge of the sequence which
>can stand on its own, and says what it says independently of any
>context; and it seems quite reasonable that one could have partial
>information about a sequence, ie knowing its 8th element is A is
>independent of knowing its 7th element is B.
>2. If containers of one kind or another are used to encode
>information by applications, then the position of some data element
>in a sequence might be used to encode information that should be

This makes sense to me, and removes a lot of the "awkwardness" of the
original container model (complete, consecutive numbering). I am with Pat on

>3. Similarly, it might be quite handy to be able to tell when one has
>incomplete information about the contents of a container. For
>example, a parser might want to know if all the parts of some
>expression are present.

For "complete" containers one could always take the daml:collection
approach, I suppose. For "incomplete", unordered containers, some type of
simple "membership" relation might also do... although now we are getting
into vocabulary issues that might not even be part of the core.

	- Ora

Ora Lassila, mailto:ora.lassila@nokia.com, +1 (781) 993-4603
Research Fellow, Nokia Research Center / Boston