Re: Proposal: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:24:47 +0100
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 02:02 AM 7/12/01 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Graham Klyne wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > With reference to my previous message:
> >
> >    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Jul/0024.html
> >
> > there's not been an overwhelming response concerning the key question
> > raised, but some muted agreement with the suggestion that this is really a
> > syntactic issue.
>
>I'm perhaps a bit out of the loop, but on this issue,
>please don't let my silence go as agreement.

I don't.

>On the contrary: I consider it essential that the
>abstract syntax has a distinguished representation
>for anonymous nodes, and that the interpretation
>of these anonymous nodes in the abstract syntax
>works like existentially quantified variables
>in FOPL.
>
>I've given test cases and running code (n-triples2kif.pl)
>to support this position; I believe Pat H and
>somebody else agreed with me.

Dan,

I think you've made a strong case for variables in query expressions.  I
also think that Pat has argued fairly convincingly that this is logically
equivalent to Skolemization -- i.e. substitution of a unique genId.  I
think these are important issues, but...

My main concern is that this is not a clarification of RDF 1.0, but a
significant extension of it.

Therefore, I ask:

(a) is there any respect in which my proposal contradicts M&S 1.0?

and/or

(b) can you point to ways in which M&S 1.0 supports your proposal to have
special treatment of anonymous resources in the RDF model?

and/or

(c) do you think you have a compelling case for *changing* RDF 1.0 now
rather than leaving this issue to be addressed in RDF 2.0?

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>