Re: rdfms-graph: Food for thought

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@Baltimore.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:58:12 +0100
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 01:01 PM 7/11/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>Here's some questions (with proposed answers) to get us thinking about
>rdfms-graph. I'm also curious whether there are other questions that
>should be considered part of the resolution -- the issue description isn't
>really enough for me to tell.
>1) Does an RDF graph have a URI?
>It is a Resource, and it can. M&S does not define a specific one.

I agree.  I'm not sure anything more needs to be said.  Any such URI is not
part of the abstract syntax/model.

>2) Is an RDF graph a set or a bag?
>A set, as it has conjunctive assertion semantics, or whatever they're called:

Again, I agree.  I'm not sure anything more needs to be said.

>3) Can a node exist in a graph without any properties?
>Yes. This is indicated in the current XML syntax with an empty Description

Here, I disagree:  there is no obvious way to represent an isolated node in
an abstract syntax/model based on triples.  I think an empty <Description>
adds nothing to the semantics so should not appear in the abstract