Re: PrefixList: whitespace or commas (Was: Notes on xml-exc-c14n rev 1.21)

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:23:44 +0000
To: reagle@w3.org
Cc: "John Boyer" <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Hi Joseph,

I objected (and still object) to the algorithm specifying an encoding for
the namespaces parameter when logically it is just a set. I would rather
the encoding be placed down in section 4 (editor's draft) where the
algorithm URI and encoding when used with XLDSIG is described. The
description of the algorithm just needs a set of namespace prefixes
(where a token exists to indicate the default namespace).

As for what encoding to use, I would advocate the encoding that XSLT
already uses, which is whitespace separated namespace prefixes with
#default to indicate the default namespace.

I apologize that I'm coming into this discussion late; I've had low
connectivity during the move.

>Ok, I recall that Merlin did object to the level of specificity (comma
>seperated) but even then noted the need for a "token" to represent the
>default namespace nodes. I don't think "" is sufficient with a whitespace
>delimited list because then its awkward to specify, for example, n1 and ""
>: "n1   " . I'm not sure where we lost the default namespace (anyone else
>recall?) but we need to account for it again. Do we coin a token, go back
>to John's commas, or something else? (Merlin?)
>On Thursday 10 January 2002 13:22, John Boyer wrote:
>> Joseph Reagle wrote:
>> However, I wonder what if their is a semantic difference between a
>> missing
>> InclusiveNamespace PrefixList and one equal to "" ?
>> <jb>
>> Yes, there should be, though it is no longer specified.  In the 5 July
>> 2001 draft, I had the following text for #3 (Pertinent meant that it
>> would be in the output):
>> The Exclusive XML Canonicalization method receives an additional string
>> parameter UnsuppressedNamespacePrefixList containing a comma separated
>> list of namespace prefixes that are not to be suppressed (e.g.
>> "ns1,ns2,ns3" with no intervening whitespace). Any namespace node that
>> declares a namespace prefix in this list is automatically pertinent. If
>> there is an empty entry in the UnsuppressedNamespacePrefixList (e.g.
>> ",ns1" or "ns1," or "ns1,,ns2"), then default namespace nodes are
>> automatically pertinent.
>> </jb>
>Joseph Reagle Jr.                 http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
>W3C Policy Analyst                mailto:reagle@w3.org