Re: XML Protocol comments on Exclusive Canonicalization

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:45:43 -0500
To: Paul Denning <pauld@mitre.org>, xmldsig <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
[Resulting document:
  $Revision: 1.27 $ on $Date: 2002/01/10 20:09:49 $ GMT by $Author: reagle $

Thank you for your comments Paul!

Paul Denning wrote:
>As discussed in the telecon, here is additional comments on Exclusive XML
>Canonicalization [4]:
>Add a section 2.3 that uses actual SOAP messages as an example.

I considered this might be useful as an informative appendix and reviewed [a] for examples (1-5) that would be useful to show a payload being selected via XPath and exc-c14n However, things are relatively straightforward. I'm not sure it would demonstrate anything more about exc-c14n or SOAP over that which is already shown in the very examples that try to simply demonstrate some of the concepts involved. (See end of email for example.)

[a] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part0/

>Also, section 1.1 terminology, could use examples to illustrate apex node
>and orphan node.

Ok, please see simple (ps-tree like) diagram and description now in the spec.

>In section 2.2, the 3rd example uses a namespace prefix "ns3", which I
>think should be "n3".  See <ns3:stuff> within <n1:elem2 ....

>Section 3, should reinforce that the begins with "One method for
>implementing ..." is non-normative.

>I am still collecting my thoughts on other ideas triggered by reading this
>document, but these are more concerned with words we should add to
>SOAP 1.2  documents, rather than anything additional for XML
>Encryption WG  documents.  For example,

I'm interested in the reslolution of the issues you identified for the XP WG? Have the been addressed?

I took the example 1, selected the content of the env:Header. [1] the result being [2].
c14n_nodelist = xpath.Evaluate('(//. | //@* | //namespace::*)[ancestor::env:Header]', context=con)

(Note that the example in  the spec isn't well-formed. (For example, the closing m:reference tag is missing a prefix. There were other problems I can't identify and maybe were related to my cut-paste from the browser...)

In the result you see that m:reservation now has the env: declaration, and some of the attributes/ns nodes have been re-ordered but that is already shown in the spec.

eg3 = """<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope">
    <m:reservation xmlns:m="http://travelcompany.example.org/reservation"
  <n:passenger xmlns:n="http://mycompany.example.com/employees"
    <n:name>John Q. Public</n:name>
  <q:lodging xmlns:q="http://travelcompany.example.org/reservation/hotels">
    <m:reservation xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope" xmlns:m="http://travelcompany.example.org/reservation" env:actor="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope/actor/next" env:mustUnderstand="true">
  <n:passenger xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope" xmlns:n="http://mycompany.example.com/employees" env:actor="http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-envelope/actor/next" env:mustUnderstand="true">
    <n:name>John Q. Public</n:name>