Re: newbie Question about PKCS#7

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:40:02 -0400
To: "Tom Gindin" <tgindin@us.ibm.com>, "Ed Simon" <edsimon@xmlsec.com>
Cc: "Roman Huditsch" <roman.huditsch@hico.com>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
On Thursday 16 May 2002 11:28, Tom Gindin wrote:
>       Maybe I'm confused about the standard, but I don't see a "Type"
> value for transparent binary data or a transform for it.  Does a
> Reference with both Type and Transforms omitted mean binary?

It is octets or a node-set.

[[
URI="http://example.com/bar.xml#chapter1"
  Identifies the element with ID attribute value 'chapter1' of the
  external XML resource 'http://example.com/bar.xml', provided as an
  octet stream. Again, for the sake of interoperability, the element
  identified as 'chapter1' should be obtained using an XPath transform
  rather than a URI fragment (barename XPointer resolution in external
  resources is not REQUIRED in this specification).
The data-type of the result of URI dereferencing or subsequent Transforms
is either an octet stream or an XPath node-set.
If the data object is a node-set and the next transform requires octets,
the signature application MUST attempt to convert the node-set to an octet
stream using Canonical XML [XML-C14N].
]]