Re: Problem with indentation

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:15:34 -0400
To: Joan Arnedo <joanar@ac.upc.es>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
On Tuesday 07 August 2001 04:54, Joan Arnedo wrote:
> When it's time to canonicalize+sign the SignedInfo part of the
> signature, what would be the real input? Given the following
> example:

You would sign the canonical form of the SignedInfo element, which in this
case would be the octet that represents the '<' character of the start
SignedInfo until the octet of the ">" charcter of its end tag.

> I have the same doubt as far as generating digests for enveloped
> objects which are XML:
>
> <Object>
>     <start>
>          </start>
> </Object>

This will depend on  how the Object is referenced within the Reference URI,
and if/how it is canonicalized.

You might want to look at merlin-xmldsig-sixteen.tar.gz at [1] to see how
some of these work.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Signature/2001/04/05-xmldsig-interop.html