Problem with indentation

From: Joan Arnedo <joanar@ac.upc.es>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:54:54 +0200 (MET DST)
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Hello,
I've just begun experimenting with XML signature and a very
simple doubt has assaulted me. Sorry if it may sound somewhat
silly because of my inexperience, but any help would be greatly
appreciated.

When it's time to canonicalize+sign the SignedInfo part of the
signature, what would be the real input? Given the following
example:

(NOTE: Bad indentation on purpose. It's with this "ignorable
whitespaces" I have this doubt).

<Signature>
        <SignedInfo>
   <CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14" />
      <SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" />
         <Reference URI="#Id1">
    <Transforms>
           <Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64" />
   </Transforms>
     <DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
      <DigestValue>piJmPr7IwVyYS1/EzMcFJ3TpMCY=</DigestValue>
    </Reference>
 <Reference URI="http://anything">
       <DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
         <DigestValue>V/CqceX8ahoh5L0YhjcutmA/s84=</DigestValue>
  </Reference>
     </SignedInfo>

What would be exactly the input data (where does it exactly start and where does
it exactly end?

*        <SignedInfo>
     </SignedInfo>(+linefeed)*

*        <SignedInfo>
     </SignedInfo>*

        *<SignedInfo>
     </SignedInfo>*

*=start/end

I have the same doubt as far as generating digests for enveloped
objects which are XML:

<Object>
    <start>
         </start>