Re: initial Exclusive Canonicalization draft

merlin wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> r/vdv@dyomedea.com/2001.07.12/13:59:31
> >I find the idea of UnsuppressedNamespacePrefixList [1] very interesting
> >and I wonder if a "DoNotRewriteNamespacePrefixList" that would specify
> >which namespaces prefixes cannot be rewritten (or a
> >"MayBeRewrittenNamespacePrefixList" that would specify which of them can
> >be rewritten) couldn't solve the issue of prefix rewriting in a very
> >consensual way.
>
> Does rewriting anything other than all prefixes actually provide
> any benefit?
>
> I understand that normalizing namespace prefixes may be useful to
> applications that do not preserve this information. However, if
> we are not to normalize certain prefixes then that implies that
> the relevant application will also preserve those prefixes, which
> implies that it could preserve all prefixes?
>
> I presume that you have a use in mind; can you elaborate?

I was proposing this by analogy with UnsuppressedNamespacePrefixList...

If I wanted to canonicalize a XSLT template or a W3C XML Schema element
definition I would certainly like to preserve all the prefixes.

A common class of applications that will likely be using QNames are all
the applications using XPointer expressions.

The latest XPointer LC offers a way to define the namespaces within the
XPointer expression itself [1], though and these applications should now
be able to deal with NS prefixes rewriting.

I am not a great supporter of using QNames as values and I was more
concerned by finding a way to (optionally) include prefix rewriting in
the canonicalization method than by the granularity of the feature and,
you're right, a boolean parameter (RewritePrefixes or
DontRewritePrefixes) may be a better way to achieve it.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xptr-20010108/#ns-context

Eric

--
See you at XTech in San Diego.