Re: initial Exclusive Canonicalization draft

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:48:03 +0100
To: vdv@dyomedea.com
Cc: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, lde008@dma.isg.mot.com

Hi Eric,

r/vdv@dyomedea.com/2001.07.12/13:59:31
>I find the idea of UnsuppressedNamespacePrefixList [1] very interesting
>and I wonder if a "DoNotRewriteNamespacePrefixList" that would specify
>which namespaces prefixes cannot be rewritten (or a
>"MayBeRewrittenNamespacePrefixList" that would specify which of them can
>be rewritten) couldn't solve the issue of prefix rewriting in a very
>consensual way.

Does rewriting anything other than all prefixes actually provide
any benefit?

I understand that normalizing namespace prefixes may be useful to
applications that do not preserve this information. However, if
we are not to normalize certain prefixes then that implies that
the relevant application will also preserve those prefixes, which
implies that it could preserve all prefixes?

I presume that you have a use in mind; can you elaborate?

Merlin

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com