Re: XML Encryption Data/Processing Model

From: Hiroshi Maruyama <MARUYAMA@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:23:50 +0900
Cc: Andy_Clark/Santa_Teresa/IBM <Andy_Clark/Santa_Teresa/IBM@jp.ibm.com>
To: xml-encryption@w3.org, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

One thing that we noticed as problematic when looking at
is the treatment of xml:lang and xml:space in
C14N, if we use C14N for serialization.  C14N requires you to "push" the
xml:lang and xml:space declarations in the outer context into the C14Ned

For example, canonicalizing the <bar/> element in

<foo xml:lang='JA">
   <bar />

will yield

<bar xml:lang="JA"/>.

Now, consider a sign-and-then-encrypt scenario for the following document.

<el2sign xml:lang="JA">

where <el2sign> is signed and then <el2enc> is encrypted.  If we use C14N
before encrypting <el2enc>, it will be converted to

<el2enc xml:lang="JA">secret</el2enc>

and consequently, after decryption the signature verifier will see

<el2sign xml:lang="JA">
   <el2enc xml:lang="JA">secret</el2enc>

Unfortunately, C14Ning this will not remove the duplicate xml:lang
in <el2enc>.  Therefore, the signature does not verify.

We rather think this is due to lack of consistency in C14N.  If C14N
treats "xml:lang in effect" rather than "xml:lang declarations" as
significant, it should remove redundant xml:lang declarations.  If C14N
thinks "xml:lang declarations" significant, it should not copy
outer declaration into C14Ned element.

Incidentally, C14N is consistent in treatment of namespace declarations -
it always treats "in-scope namespaces" only and redundant
namespace declarations are removed.

Because C14N is already fixed, I do not think we can use C14N
as serialization of encrypted data.  We are trying to define a
that would preserve the declarations as they appear in the original

Hiroshi Maruyama
Manager, Internet Technology, Tokyo Research Laboratory