AW: KeyInfo (Was: Urgent: W3C Guidlines on Namespace structure)

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:52:57 +0100
To: "Gregor Karlinger" <gregor.karlinger@gmx.net>
Cc: "XMLSigWG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Joseph,

I do not think that the choice model you suggest, has so many benefits
that a change of the current schema is justified:

o You argue, that you can maintain a defined sequence of the certain
  types of children within KeyInfo. But this is only true, as long as
  there are used only the predefined types of XML-Signature. The sequence
  cannot be maintained any more if there are more than two newly defined
  types are used:

  <KeyInfo>
     <NewFoo1/>
     <NewFoo2/>
     <NewFoo1/>
     <NewFoo2/>
  <KeyInfo>

  This example is validating with your new schema proposal.

o As Merlin argues, it would be sufficient to semantically restrict the
  number of occurences for KeyValue to a maximum of one; this would increase
  the number of possibilities for reuse of the KeyInfo type by other parties.

Regards, Gregor
DI Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at