Re: The changing DSIG name space

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:28:32 -0500
To: Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
I realized my reference to WG might be confusing here: while I was trying to
write signature instances and DTDs/schemas for the Signature WG, the Schema
WG had updated their DTD while using the same namespace, causing previously
working instance I had written to fail. But now things are much clearer as
expectations about the stability of a namespace are explicit [1]. In the
working draft stage, a WG should state how likely a given namespace is to
chage, and once a spec hits CR, the namespace must be stable with respect to
any affects it has on previously conforming instances and processors.

Joseph wrote before:
>A dated (or versioned, or RFC allocated) specification has a specific and
>frozen meaning. Prior to clarification of W3C's policies, I had written
>instances using schema that were valid at a given time for a given
>namespace. The WG then changed the DTD behind that namespace invalidating
>the examples I wrote that used to work! My examples should've continued to
>be valid under that namespace, and they should've created a new one.

[1] http://www.w3.org/1999/10/nsuri

__