Re: XML Signatures and binary files

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:09:05 +0100
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, "Dournaee, Blake" <bdournaee@rsasecurity.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

I've always thought that Encoding and MimeType were a bit
weird. They seem only to have meaning for character content
(which will be the minority of uses), the encoding is implicit
in the Transforms applied of the corresponding Reference and
the MimeType can be represented by its Type attribute. It
would make more sense to me if they were defined on a MimeData
element that could be used within Object, but I would not
even advocate that.

Merlin

r/reagle@w3.org/2001.05.17/09:24:46
>At 08:34 5/17/2001 -0400, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>>Close, but I would think it would be more like
>>
>><Object Id="arbitraryBase64EncodedData"
>>         Encoding="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64"
>>         MimeType="application/octet-stream">
>
>The reason this concerned me is I think the spec is a bit ambigous on this
>note. In your instance the Encoding and MimeType are redundant -- I think?
>Or is the MimeType the type of the object regardless of its encoding?
>
>__
>Joseph Reagle Jr.                 http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
>W3C Policy Analyst                mailto:reagle@w3.org
>IETF/W3C XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://www.w3.org/Signature
>W3C XML Encryption Chair          http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com