Re: XML Signatures and binary files

At 12:09 5/18/2001 +0100, merlin wrote:
>I've always thought that Encoding and MimeType were a bit
>weird. They seem only to have meaning for character content
>(which will be the minority of uses), the encoding is implicit
>in the Transforms applied of the corresponding Reference and
>the MimeType can be represented by its Type attribute. It
>would make more sense to me if they were defined on a MimeData
>element that could be used within Object, but I would not
>even advocate that.

[ Resulting document
         http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-core/Overview.html
        $Revision: 1.63 $ on $Date: 2001/05/31 22:40:41 $

/+The MimeType attribute is an optional attribute which describes the data
within the Object (independent of its encoding). This is a string with
values defined by [MIME]. For example, if the Object contains base64 encoded
XML, the Encoding may be specified as base64 and the MimeType as text/xml.
This attribute is purely advisory; no validation of the MimeType information
is required by this specification. Applications which require normatiave
type and encoding information for signature validation should specify
Transforms with well defined resulting types and/or encodings.+/

]