namespace question

From: Kevin Regan <kevinr@valicert.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:38:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

I've been attempting to implement the latest XML Signature and C14N
specifications.  However, I have a few questions.

It seems that when computing the canonicalized form of an Element
representing a sub-tree of an XML document, the namespace declarations of
all the parents of the given element (all the way to the Document root
element) are included in that element as well as all of that Element's
children (unless overridden at some point).  What I'm not exactly clear on
is if this applies to the actual Signature element for the signature being
created.  I don't think that it does (I don't believe that you need to
look at the parent elements of the Signature element to determine their
namespace declarations)?  Is this correct?  If not, wouldn't it mean that
the insertion point for the Signature element must be known in advance so
that these declarations can be obtained?  Are there any differences for
detached, enveloped, or enveloping signatures?

Sincerely,
Kevin Regan