From: John Boyer [mailto:jboyer@PureEdge.com]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 1:01 PM
To: Kevin Regan; Joseph M. Reagle Jr.
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: namespace question

Hi Kevin and Joseph,

Yes, a signature will break if you move it into a different namespace
context, whether or not the changed namespaces are actually being used
within the Signature element.

Canonicalizing an element E must include the full namespace context
because
it is impossible to determine which namespaces are actually being used
with
E.  E could be an application-specific element with textual content that
makes reference to some namespace.  The Signature element is simply an
instance of this element E.  There can be an XPath Transform somewhere
within the content of Signature.  As well, SignatureProperties appear to
be
fairly open, so namespace references could exist within them that we
have no
way of determining.

So, the reason we don't restrict namespace context to the subset of the
namespace context in use is because we have no real way of specifying
how to
determine the desired namespace context subset.

Finally, if we were to omit namespaces that are being used, security
holes
result.  For example, suppose I have an XPath transform that keeps all
nodes
in a referenced document D except omitting those based on a certain
namespace qualified tag.  The namespace is available to the XPath
transform
but does not get signed.  Therefore, the namespace assignment can be
changed
to a different URL without breaking the signature and without breaking
the
ability to evaluate the XPath expression.  Thus, I am now able to add
unintended information to D without breaking the signature.  This
violates
the notion of document closure.

John Boyer
Development Team Leader,
Distributed Processing and XML
PureEdge Solutions Inc.
Creating Binding E-Commerce
v: 250-479-8334, ext. 143  f: 250-479-3772
1-888-517-2675   http://www.PureEdge.com <http://www.pureedge.com/>