Re: Valid XML and Schema Normative?

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:48:41 -0400
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
At 11:30 2000-07-06 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
 >At 00/07/05 16:12 -0400, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:
 >>Consequently, if a Signature application encountered a Signature with
 >>external content (even if namespace qualified) in SignedInfo, that
Signature
 >>should be invalid. It would only know it is invalid if it had the
 >>DTD/Schema, consequently, a schema validating parser is REQUIRED. Right?
 >
 >Couldn't you just use a well-formed parser, and throw an error
 >if you see an element or attribute that's not allowed?

So it would be a well-formed parser with additional logic added to it that
includes the semantics of the Signature DTD and schema constraints? What do
you call this? Again, the question I'm trying to focus on, say you come
across a Signature instance with some superflous XML content from an
external namespace in SignedInfo, is the Signature invalid?