Re: Latest draft and Schema / DTD

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:50:08 -0500
To: "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent, III" <Winchel@mindspring.com>, "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, "leg-xml-l" <leg-xml-l@gsulaw.gsu.edu>

-----Original Message-----
From: Winchel 'Todd' Vincent, III <Winchel@mindspring.com>
To: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>; Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
<dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>; leg-xml-l
<leg-xml-l@gsulaw.gsu.edu>; timbl@w3.org <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Friday, November 12, 1999 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: Latest draft and Schema / DTD

[..]

>Now, if I understand correctly, you are saying that using XML DTDs to
>validate XML documents is the wrong way to go (contrary to the message of
>the last two years) and now I (and everyone else) have to switch to XML
>schemas and use the phantom tools that exists to make it happen.

No, just you -  not everyone else.  ;-) Just us. In working within the W3C
you have
an obligation which an average user does not, to ensure that the
new technology all fits together.  This is perhaps more explicit in the W3C
than in the IETF.   Any large organzation or community can splinter very
easily
if there are not checks to ensure that everything indeed converges.

Tim BL