Re: Latest draft and Schema / DTD

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:40:45 -0500
To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: dee3@torque.pothole.com, "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, David Solo <david.solo@citicorp.com>
At 00:37 99/11/12 -0500, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
 >I didn't understand that you were going to totally banish DTDs.
 >As far as I know, there are essentially no tools that process the
 >current W3C Schema draft.  I think that DTDs will be the dominant
 >description of XML for validation, etc., for at least a year to 18
 >months and will continue to be very useful for at least five to ten
 >years.  Under these circumstances dropping DTDs entirely from the
 >draft greatly reduces its value is a real dis-service to the
DTDs simply do not permit us to do what we would like to do [1], and our XML
will be used in many circumstances that will not XML validate anyway. In the
XML context TimBL has suggested that this activity among others use schemas

I'd ask that we keep the schema declarations I've used in the draft we are
working on until we post it early next week and the WG can discuss it.

[1] http://xml.com/pub/1999/07/schemas/dtds.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/1999OctDec/0023.html

From: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
To: <chairs@w3.org>
Cc: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>, <w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:31:59 -0500
Subject: Schemas coming of age: use them

Agenda item for chairs meeting:

As I have mentioned in various fora including the AC meeting, xml schemas
are coming of age.  It is no longer appropriate for a W3C activity to say
"well, we won't use them because they aren't here yet". They are here --
there are drafts which you can read and use.

It is now appropriate for any group developing a W3C xml application (such
as P3P, xHTML, etc) to use namespaces and schemas.  These should be seen as
the first, very important, test cases for schema: if xml-schema language
won't do what you want it to do, then get it fixed.

Working across more groups takes time but it leads to a consistent result.
Let's  make sure everything fits together at this stage!

Keep up the good work, everyone.

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/