Accessing relatively arbitrary spans of an XML instance (of speci al interest to Peter Norman I think)

From: Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:34:31 -0400
To: "'w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org'" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
The issue of accessing relatively arbitrary spans of an XML instance was
brought up at the F2F (by Peter Norman I think) and we were not sure how it
might be done.  Anyway, I've noticed that "range axis" in the XPointer
Working Draft ("http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xptr") seems like it could provide
the capability.

I should emphasize that I do not see being able to access a range as
necessarily desirable for version 1.0 of the XML digital signature; I'm just
pointing out that the capability is being considered within XPointer.

Regards, Ed
Ed Simon
Software Engineer, Entrust Technologies
email:  ed.simon@entrust.com