Re: XML-Signatures Requirements Last Call

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:34:34 -0400
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, "John Boyer" <jboyer@uwi.com>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org
John Boyer has been the advocate for this requirement, so perhaps he can
speak more authoritatively. My understanding is that one needs ways of
signing portions of XML. I suspect Xlink/Ptrs could be abused in that I
could have a series of locators referencing elements with given IDs and
change the relative order of those resources within the document and the
signature would still pass -- their relative order wasn't captured by
listing the Xlinks as signature references. Excluding portions of a complete
XML document from the signature, or selecting those portions and maintaining
the context and their relative positions seem to be the two feasible options.

Regardless, I expect well-balanced regions [1] are sufficient for the
applications I know of. To that end, the content production [2:43] rule
might even cover most of what people would want to do.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-fragment#terminology

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/