Re: XML-Signatures Requirements Last Call

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:44:42 -0500
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@us.ibm.com>
At 16:53 1999 08 25 -0400, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:
>At 11:17 99/08/23 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
> >It sounds to me like there are several important requirements
> >coming out of XML
>
>Here are a couple that I've identified:

>Dependency: signing non-contigous portions of XML content in a way that
>retains their relative positions/context.

I think it may be important to be clear about your non-contiguous
portions.  Specifically, will they be restricted to what the XML
Fragment spec calls well-balanced regions, or do they need to be
able to be un-well-balanced?  If the latter, that will probably
raise a lot more issues and require a lot more coordination, say,
with the XML Infoset and DOM and Fragments and XPointer and such
(since most XML processes work on a tree or node model of XML element
structure which wouldn't allow un-well-balanced regions).

paul