Re: Status of Bugzilla Bug 10, Round-tripping various information in properties

Wilfredo points out something I hadn't considered before, which I think
addresses your concern, Geoff -- the idea that the only agents that
need to preserve prefixes are those that want to.
  - Currently we have no known servers or clients that have a need to
preserve prefixes.
  - If we had a server that decided to implement XPath-based search or
something similar, that server could unilaterally begin to preserve
prefixes as long as the standard doesn't prevent it.
  - If we had a client that decided to do something similar on its local
cache/copy of data, the client would have to get a prefix-preserving
parser and do a bunch of other work too -- but I don't see how the
server behavior would entirely prevent this from working.

So although I'm OK with saying SHOULD preserve, I see good arguments
for saying MAY preserve and I'm fine with that resolution too.

Lisa