Re: Summary of ETag related issues in RFC2518bis

Jim Whitehead wrote:
> Julian,
>
> Thanks for making this more clear -- you're right, there is a
> significant issue here.
>
>> The question here is whether an ETag returned upon PUT is for the
>> entity the client sent (1), or for the entity the server would send
>> upon a subsequent GET (2).
>>
>> There are cases where both will not be the same, so this needs to be
>> clarified. In case of (2), a client will need a subsequent GET if it's
>> planning to use the ETag for subsequent GET/Range requests.
>>

> I think option #2 is the best one here (the Etag returned by PUT is the
> one a subsequent GET would retrieve).

So given the fact people like Ted and myself got this wrong, and that
people on the HTTP WG seem to agree this area is underspecified, what do
we do?

-1 on putting in new requirements into the spec that may be incompatible
with RFC2616. +1 on getting that clarified in RFC2616's errata. Volunteers?

Best regards, Julian