Re: XML InfoSet and property value preservation

From: Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez@wsanchez.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:41:38 -0800
Cc: Lukas Mathis <lukas.mathis@numcom.com>, WebDav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Nov 17, 2005, at 2:10 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Lukas Mathis wrote:
>>>     Clients putting sub-elements into properties should accept
>>> that the server will likely parse those elements, potentially
>>> storing that into some normative form, then re-render that into
>>> XML when asked for it later, and that semantically equivalent but
>>> byte-for-byte different data may come back.  I think forcing a
>>> server author to care about preserving the original XML rendering
>>> at all is a bad idea.
>> I agree with that. It's XML, and it should be treated as such. If
>> the client wants it be treated as text, it must but it in a CDATA
>> section.
>
> I agree with that too. As a matter of fact, I don't think anybody
> disagrees here.
>
> Best regards, Julian

    Except that I think attempting to preserve namespace prefixes in
property XML falls in that category.

    Namespace prefixes aren't supposed to be semantically meaningful,
and changing them shouldn't have any more effect on the XML reader
than changing a variable name in code should on a program.  What
matters is the data being referred to, not the name of the reference.

	-wsv