Re: XML InfoSet and property value preservation

    Hate to sound ignorant again, but, well I guess I don't hate it
that much...

    Recognizing that we can't say that XML sub-elements aren't allowed
in property elements because of history, the spec should encourage
clients that want to know that their data will be preserved exactly
as-is (comments and all) SHOULD encode their content, and perhaps the
spec should recommend an encoding (eg. escaped XML/CDATA) for
property contents.  This has the advantage of working reliably on
100% of existing servers, regardless of how they expand namespaces,
ignore comments (or not), use CDATA or escaped XML, etc.

    Clients putting sub-elements into properties should accept that
the server will likely parse those elements, potentially storing that
into some normative form, then re-render that into XML when asked for
it later, and that semantically equivalent but byte-for-byte
different data may come back.  I think forcing a server author to
care about preserving the original XML rendering at all is a bad idea.

    WebDAV is already pretty complicated.  XML with namespaces is no
small part of that complexity. Why make it harder when an easy
solution is already available in current implementations?

	-wsv