Re: XML InfoSet and property value preservation

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>> You're confusing the terminology (that we can re-use) with the
>> question what parts of the Infoset WebDAV wants to make
>> reound-trippable. Those do not need to be the same. The XML Infoset
>> spec just helps in talking about these things.
>
> Fair enough, I think the terminology does make things clear and we can
> define our own list about what's round-tripped.   On those terms I'm
> perfectly in favour of using InfoSet terminology. So does this boil down
> to saying something like:
>
>   "All Information Items as defined in XML InfoSet [ref] MUST be
> round-tripped as part of the property value, with the exception of the
> following
>    - On an element information item: the prefix and namespace attributes
>    - On an attribute information item: the prefix
>    - On a namespace information item: the prefix

Why would we need any Namespace Information Items anyway? I thought
namespace declarations weren't considered important, as long as
namespace names are preserved for each item?

>   Anything that is not part of the Information Set does not need to be
> preserved by the server."

So are comments, processing instructions, unparsed entities and so on
in? Probably not.

Looking at the large set of information items, it's probably simpler if
we just list the items we want to be round-tripped, such as:

1) On the property element itself: [namespace name], [local name],
[children] of type element or character, plus [attributes] named
"xml:lang" present on the element itself or it's closest ancestor

2) On all children of the property element: [namespace name], [local
name], [attributes] and [children] of type element or character.

Regarding the issue that started the whole discussion: we IMHO should
encourage servers to preserve the [prefix} on all but the property
element itself, and warn clients about information loss for those
servers that don't.

Best regards, Julian