Re: Re (2): last calling WebDAV mounting spec

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:07:43 +0200
To: edgar@edgarschwarz.de
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

edgar@edgarschwarz.de wrote:
> Hi,
> after havin a look at the spec here my naive thoughts.
> If I'm overlooking something just flame me :-)
> As I understand it the idea is to tell a webbrowser that an URL it got is
> WebDAV or even DeltaV capable.

Not just that. For instance, you may also want to initiate an "mount"
request for a different URL. For instance, many document management
systems use separate URL namespaces for HTML-based navigation, and
HTTP/WebDAV access. Thus one level of indirection is needed anyway.

> But this is just meta information. Do why not something simple like:
>
> GET /documents/user42/inbox HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.example.com
>
> Response:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>
> The normal document for the browser ....
>
> I hope you get the idea to give a hint in the header.
> If what I'm proposing above would confuse a plain vanilla browser perhaps
> there is another way.

Independant of the question whether it confuses browsers, how will it
have any effect in existing browsers?

> This would tell the browser that it makes sense to open this URL with a
> WebDAV client.
> Because I think that much of the information in the dm: is redundant.

Such as?

Best regards, Julian