Re: last calling WebDAV mounting spec, was I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-webdav-mount-01.txt

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:01:45 +0200
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@soe.ucsc.edu>
CC: WebDav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Jim Whitehead wrote:
> I dunno -- it doesn't seem reasonable that the default mapping of GET to
> an executable resource would be to execute a binary. For example, this
> isn't the case with Apache.

Well, there's no default mapping once the WebDAV resource is exposed
through a file system API. Take the Xythos (Windows) client as an
example: there's nothing it can do to prevent this; callers to the OS
won't see anything except filename, a few flags and the binary content.
What happens upon opening the document will completely depend on what
the opening application (Explorer?) thinks it is.

I'm not saying that these concerns can't be adressed, but it will
certainly be hard to specify properly.

Best regards, Julian